What if you found a map showing the location of buried treasure? Would you know how to read the map and find those gold coins and jewelry?
Practice some map skills, turn in your results, and tell Mrs D that you “want some treasure!” Download the US map from this location MAP and print a copy. (If you have trouble, Mrs D can provide you a printed copy of the map.) Use the map to answer the following questions.
Remember – Latitude lines run east and west (left and right) on the map. Longitude lines run north and south (up and down) on the map.
- Find three states that extend below latitude 30 degrees N (in the contiguous US). Circle these states and label them on the map.
- Find one US state that is mostly east of longitude 70 degrees W. Draw a box around this state and label it on the map.
- Find three US states (shown on this map) that extend west of longitude 120 degrees W. Color in these states and label them on the map,
- Is the location 45 degrees N latitude, 82 degrees W longitude on land or under water? On the map, mark it with an X.
- Name the state that is located entirely between 40-45 degrees N latitude and between 90-100 degrees W longitude, and label it on the map.
- Estimate the location for Skipperville, Alabama and draw a large dot at this location. In the space provided below the map, record the latitude and longitude that you estimate for Skipperville.
Turn in your map with answers to all six questions by Friday, 21 October to receive your treasure!